Interviews are tricky. It’s an odd first date, where ideally you get a new job and the hiring team can stop interviewing. However, saying yes to the wrong job is dangerous. I once had a friend/mentor tell me that you have to love your job like you love your partner. Some days are hard, but you still feel crazy about it.
With that in mind, I created a list to help us all find the perfect match. You can use some of these in the first round of interviews. Definitely ask in the second round of interviews.
- What’s the work schedule like here?
- When was the last team builder?
- What is the on boarding process?
- Whose will be my teammates?
- May I meet the team?
- Can you describe the perfect person for me?
- What did you like from my resume?
- How can someone grow in this position?
- What are your goals for this position?
- What do you like about working here?
As you can tell, a lot of these questions have to do with culture and leadership. You want to see if they have thought about your position. If they know how to train people. If they value your values. You can figure out the technical parts of your job; however, you want to make sure your partner is a healthy one. Good luck out there!